Meth is found in Super 8 water supply in New Mexico after guest says a piece flew out of the faucet

Methamphetamine is found in Super 8 motel water supply in New Mexico after a guest says a piece of meth FLEW OUT of the faucet and hit them in the eye

By Adam Manno For Dailymail.Com





The water supply of a Super 8 motel in New Mexico has been shut off after a guest said a piece of methamphetamine came out of a faucet and struck them in the eye on Thursday.

The crystal-like substance - which cops later determined to be meth - was found in multiple locations throughout the 2-star inn, located off Highway 70 in Portales, about 230 miles east of Albuquerque.

Rocks were found in another sink and inside of an ice machine on Friday, stoking fears that the drug could be circulating throughout the motel's water supply, according to the Portales Police Department.

The guest who was hit in the eye was not injured.

The hotel has been cleared of guests and the water supply remains off as of Sunday night, a front desk clerk told

A Super 8 motel in Portales, New Mexico has been emptied after concerns that crystal meth may be circulating throughout its water supply

Meth is found in Super 8 water supply in New Mexico after guest says a piece flew out of the faucet

One guest said that a rock came out of a faucet and hit their eye on Thursday, but tests of the substance, which was also found in an ice machine, have come back inconclusive (file image)


Share this article


The Portales Police Department posted on Facebook:'A crystal-like substance was found in a sink at the hotel, that substance was field tested and provided a presumptive positive indication for methamphetamine.

'Additional testing was done on the substance by using a device called a TruNarc, which is a handheld Narcotics Analyzer. The results of the device provided an inconclusive result on the substance.'

The department added: 'The building is equipped with a device intended to prevent water back flow into the City's water system and the water was turned off to the building for further precautions and safety measures.'

The public works department has tested the town's water supply outside of the hotel and found it has not been contaminated, KOAT7 reports.

The hotel is cooperating with police, and the investigation continues, police said.

No arrests have been made.

Methamphetamine was developed in the early 20th century and is currently used in low doses for ADHD and weight loss, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

It's a powerful and highly-addictive stimulant that usually takes the form of a white, odorless, bitter-tasting crystalline powder.

An estimated 964,000 people aged 12 or older - 0.4 percent of the population - had a methamphetamine use disorder in 2017, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, part of the National Institutes of Health.

From 2012 through 2018, the rate of overdose deaths involving psychostimulants with abuse potential like methamphetamines increased nearly five-fold from 0.8 to 3.9, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

Read more:

Share what you think

View all

The comments below have not been moderated.

View all

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

BingSite WebEnter search term:
AdvertisementAdvertisementAdvertisementNEW ARTICLESHomeTopShareSitemapArchiveVideo ArchiveTopics IndexMobile AppsScreensaverRSSText-based siteReader PrintsOur PapersTop of page Daily MailMail onSundayThis is Money MetroJobsiteMail Location

Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

dmg mediaContact usHow to complainLeadership TeamAdvertise with usContributorsTermsDo not sell my infoAbout MailOnlinePrivacy policy & cookiesAdvertisementAdvertisement