Pair taken to hospital with chlorine gas poisoning after combining household cleaning products

A pair in their 20s have been rushed to hospital with gas poisoning after accidentally creating a toxic cocktail from household cleaning products.

The man and woman - who have not been named by the emergency services - were cleaning their bathroom with two different products when the substances mixed and started to emit chlorine gas.

After being exposed to the dangerous fumed the pair started to feel ill and rang a doctor. They were advised to call an ambulance which took them from their Redland Hill flat to A and E.

Fire crews from Temple, Bedminster and a chemical detection unit from Patchway were called at around 6.30pm to the five-storey block of flats.

Around 25 people were evacuated from the building and moved to a neighbouring block of flats as crews dealt with the incident.

Firefighters used water to dilute the harmful chemicals and ventilated the flat using a fan.

The young pair are currently being monitored in hospital to ensure they do not experience further side effects or long-term damage to their airways and lungs.

Pair taken to hospital with chlorine gas poisoning after combining household cleaning products

Residents evacuated in the incident were allowed back into their homes several hours later once fire fighters gave the all clear.

Avon Fire and Rescue later issued a warning on social media never to mix household cleaning products.

"Members of the public must take care not to combine any household products because there is a risk that you will create a harmful substance,” a spokesperson said.

“We advise you read information given on products and we would advise that manufacturer's guidance is always followed otherwise there might be unintended consequences."

Chlorine gas is a harmful substance which might be better known for its use as a chemical weapon in World War I.

Inhaling the gas can cause irritation on the airways and lungs and severely affect breathing. Prolonged exposure to it can cause long-term damage to the airways.

People working in fields where they are exposed to chemicals on a daily basis are the highest risk for serious toxicity from high-concentration chlorine.

The signs of acute chlorine gas poisoning are primarily respiratory which means if exposed you will have difficulty breathing and start to cough. Your lungs will generally crackle and you will begin sneezing and have nose and throat irritation.

If you are not sure, then it is better not to mix anything at all, but here is a rough guide on what type of household products not to combine.